This page contains a general list of university-wide, college-wide, and departmental policies and procedures; the list may not contain all policies and procedures that may be of interest to a faculty member. The links generally take faculty members to main websites where they can search for specific documents.
All herein listed links and files are regularly updated but the department strongly recommends all interested users to always confirm that they use the most updated documentation. Please inform department staff if you discover any broken links or old documents linked.
General FIU Resources:
Collective Bargaining Agreement
Terms and Conditions of employment for faculty employees are governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the bargained Faculty Policies between the United Faculty of Florida-Florida International University (UFF-FIU) and the Florida International University Board of Trustees (FIU-BOT). The Collective Bargaining Agreement can be found on the Provost’s website at https://provost.fiu.edu/ofga/fiu-uff-collective-bargaining.html.
Policies and Procedures Library
The FIU Policies and procedures Library is the official repository for university-wide policies and procedures: https://policies.fiu.edu/
The Provost’s Faculty Resource Page (https://provost.fiu.edu/faculty_resources.html) page includes, among other information, Panther180, tenure and promotion, sustained performance review, sabbatical professional development, leave of absence, and collective bargaining documents.
Another useful resource on the Provost’s website (https://provost.fiu.edu/) is the Faculty Handbook (https://academic.fiu.edu/docs/Faculty_Handbook.pdf). A link to the handbook is on the left-hand menu of the website.
Search and Screen Handbook
This Handbook guides faculty in their service on Faculty Search & Screen Committees. The handbook is found on the HR website at https://hr.fiu.edu/leadership/recruitment-onboarding/searchscreenhandbook/.
Office to Advance Women, Equity, and Diversity Resources
The Office to Advance Women, Equity, and Diversity (AWED) offers many different faculty career development opportunities. These can all be found on their website (https://awed.fiu.edu/faculty-career-development/index.html). New faculty are encouraged to participate in the Faculty Mentor Program. All faculty are encouraged to participate in available AWED training programs. AWED also has resources from their STRIDE workshops for hiring, tenure and promotion, and diversity advocate training at https://advance.fiu.edu/programs/stride/resources/index.html.
Course Accessibility at FIU
FIU has committed to making all digital information and digital service acquired, developed, or delivered by any campus, college, or vice president unit accessible and in compliance with the Minimum Digital Accessibility Standards (MDAS). Faculty should use Canvas for their course website and make sure their course is accessible. More details can be found at https://accessibility.fiu.edu/. Ally Course Accessibility Reports are found in the left course menu for each individual course. Accessibility scores should be more than 95% and as close to 100% as possible.
Environmental Health and Safety Resources
The Department of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) protects the university community and its environment by ensuring operations comply with all applicable regulations and best practices. EHS resources can be found at https://ehs.fiu.edu/resources/index.html and should be reviewed by all Principal Investigators (PI’s) and laboratory managers in charge of laboratories and physical testing facilities.
College of Engineering and Computing Resources
Documentation about Administration Operations, Tenure and Promotion Guidelines, Non-tenure-track Promotion Guidelines and Annual Assignment and Review of Faculty are found at https://cec.fiu.edu/about/college-policies-and-administrative-procedures.
Faculty Council on Governance
The CEC Faculty Council is one of the policy-making bodies of the College of Engineering and Computing consisting of membership from all departments. Faculty Council resources can be found at https://cecfc.fiu.edu/.
CEE Guidelines and Policies
The following links and documentation include a selection of materials that are fundamental important to each faculty member who has been hired by the department either in the tenure and tenured ranks, non-tenure classification, and others. If either links or information is not herein presented, it is recommended to search in the university-wide or college-wide websites.
CEE Bylaws (last updated 9/24/2021) – CEE-BYLAWS_10_5_2021
Tenure and Promotion Related
- CEE Tenure and Promotion Guidelines for TT Faculty (last updated 10/5/2021) – TT_TP Guidelines-11-2-2022
- CEE Promotion Guidelines for Non-Tenure-Track Faculty (last updated 10/5/2021) – NTT_Promotion Guidelines_10_5_2021
Evaluation and Performance Related
- CEE Annual Teaching Evaluation Policy (last updated 11/30/2022) – Teaching+Evaluation+CEE-Revised 11-30-22
- CEE Differential Assignment Policy (last updated 11/22/2019) – CEE-Differential-Assignment-Proposal_11_22_2019
- CEE Merit Raise Policy (last updated 4/17/2017) –Merit Raise Policy_4_17_2017
Graduate Student Related
- CEE Decentralized Admissions Policy – CEE Decentralization of Admissions Procedure
- CEE Recommended Protocols for PhD Degree Program Examinations (last updated 12/11/2014) – CEE Protocols for PhD Program Exams-12-11-2014
- CEE Graduate Student Handbook (last updated 8/17/2021) – https://cee.fiu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CEE-Graduate-Student-Handbook-8-17-2021.pdf
- Departmental Forms for Graduate Students – https://cee.fiu.edu/resources/students/department-forms
- Graduate Advisors Page – https://cee.fiu.edu/resources/students/advising/graduate-advisors
- Degree Requirements for MS Students – https://cee.fiu.edu/degree-requirements-for-master-of-science-programs
- Degree Requirements for PhD Students – https://cee.fiu.edu/academics/degrees/graduate/doctor-of-philosophy-in-civil-engineering
- Graduate Core Courses – https://cee.fiu.edu/graduate-core-courses
- Graduate Student Evaluation Form: Use this form for MS Thesis/Project/All-Course Report presentations and PhD Dissertation Proposal and Final Defense presentations. Form should be completed by all committee members and submitted to GPD and Program Coordinator after the presentation.
- Unified Eval Form – Unified Eval Form-SACS-2019-Fillable
- CEE Rubric for Evaluation Form –CEE Org-Rubric-SLO-2019
- CEE Diversity and Inclusion Policy (last updated 12/7/2021) – CEE Diversity Policy_12-7-2021
- Procedure for Assessing the Qualifications of Non-CEE Faculty as Major or Co-Major Professor and Dissertation Topic – Non-CEE Faculty Advising Policy
- Department Advisory Board (DAB) Administrative Rules – CEE DAB Official Bylaws Dec 11 2003
- Strategies for Reducing TA Demand in Courses – CEE Strategies for Reducing TAs_v3
CEE Guideline and Policy Archives
This section contains old versions of CEE guidelines, policies, and other documents. These versions are marked with “Archived” watermarks.
CEE Tenure and Promotion Guidelines for TT Faculty
CEE Promotion Guidelines for Non-Tenure-Track Faculty
CEE Annual Teaching Evaluation Policy
- CEE Annual Teaching Evaluation Policy (updated 2/18/2021) – Teaching+Evaluation+CEE-Policy-Rubric_2_18_2021