FIU CEE Accelerated BS/MS Degree Pathway – Earn Your Master’s Faster

2017-2018 Civil Engineering Flowchart
2017-2018 Environmental Engineering Flowchart

The Accelerated BS/MS Degree Pathway from FIU CEE is a popular option for those students who want to get a head start on their graduate studies prior to completing their undergraduate degrees. Students enrolled in the pathway program can count up to nine credit hours of CEE graduate courses toward both their engineering BS requirements and their MS degrees.

Eligible students are those pursuing BS degrees who are approaching their senior year with at least 3.3 GPA on both overall and upper division courses. Students interested in the Accelerated BS/MS degree pathway should consult with the Undergraduate Advisor on their eligibility to the program and meet with the Graduate Program Director to learn about the graduate program and coursework. That should be done before students complete the application form and submit it to the undergraduate advisor.

Graduate Program Director’s contact information:

Armin Mehrabi, Ph.D., P.E., MBA

Graduate Program Director and Associate Professor

Ph.D., University of Colorado at Boulder, 1994
Civil Engineering

Dr. Armin Mehrabi joined the Civil and Environmental Department of the College of Engineering and Computing in January of 2017.

Dr. Mehrabi comes from Bridge Engineering Solutions where he served as the President and Principal Engineer for 12 years.  He specializes in inspection, evaluation, cable vibration and wind assessment, health monitoring, and rehabilitation of cable-supported bridges.  He has developed non-destructive evaluation and inspection methods for bridge structures, and has been involved in inspection, evaluation, monitoring, life-cycle-cost analysis, and/or rehabilitation design for 14 cable-stayed bridges, and 11 other cable supported bridges in the US and abroad.  Dr. Mehrabi is the co-inventor of a Laser-Based Cable Monitoring System developed with the support of US Federal Highway Administration, for which he was awarded as “One of Top 25 Newsmakers of the Year, 1997, By ENR.”   Before establishing the Bridge Engineering Solutions firm, he worked and managed the largest privately owned structural laboratory in the US for 8 years. His experiences include also 6 years of structural design and five years as lecturer in various universities in Iran.

His thesis on Seismic Behavior of Masonry Infilled RC Frames won the Most Outstanding Thesis Award by The Masonry Society in 1997.  Dr. Mehrabi has also served as Consultant for Construction Support Services and QC/QA for bridges.  He has served as Complex Bridge Specialist and consultant for the Sunshine Skyway and Dames Point Cable-stayed Bridges in Florida for instrumentation, non-destructive testing, and periodic stay force and damping measurement.  His research interests are in the areas of Non-Destructive Evaluation of Bridges, Structural Health Monitoring, Vibration Analysis and Mitigation for Slender Tension Elements, Structural Performance Evaluation through Field and Laboratory Testing, Bridge Rehabilitation and Corrosion Mitigation, as well as Analysis and Modeling of Masonry and R/C Frames subject to Lateral/Seismic Loading.

Dr. Mehrabi holds an M.S. degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Tehran, Iran, an MBA from Niagara University, NY, and a Ph.D. degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1994. He is a registered professional engineer in several states. Dr. Mehrabi has carried out several research studies in Structural Engineering field and has published more than 60 papers and articles on the subject of inspection and evaluation of bridges, and laboratory testing and seismic analysis of masonry and infilled frames in Professional Journals, Conference Proceedings, and Professional Magazines.  He has given lectures and Keynote speeches in several venues in the US and abroad.

Curriculum Vitae

Office: EC 3602
Phone: (305) 348-3653

For more information on eligibility requirements, please review the Pathway Guidelines for the BS/MS. Please speak with your Undergraduate Advisor to fill out the form.